Tuesday, January 29, 2013

DIY: Wooden Magnet Refrigerator Letters


I wish I could take credit for this genius idea, but I cannot. 


I have been wanting to make the felt letters that are all over Pinterest, but they seem SO time consuming.  Then I was going to buy them on Etsy, but for 60$, I was putting it off.  

Today my best friend called with this idea, and I rushed to Michael's to get the supplies!  

Here's what I used: 

  • wooden letters and numbers (only $3.99!!)
  • roll of magnet strip
  • acrylic paints (I had all of them but the glitter paints)
  • paint brushes



Letters and Magnet: 

Colors: 


There was no rhyme or reason to how I painted the letters.  I knew I wanted four base colors, so I did teal, pink, mustard and green.  I did about 5-6 letters of each color.  


 After they fronts were painted, I went back and added some detail.  I made navy stripes on the green ones, grey dots on the mustard letters, and I went over the pink and teal letters with glitter paint.  

When the fronts were totally dry, I turned them over and painted the backs.  I didn't detail them since they won't really show. 

After they were completely dry, I just cut magnets into small pieces and put 2-3 pieces on each letter and number 


 And that was it! I'm so glad I did this project because it only took about 2 hours from start to finish, and it was SO easy. You don't have to be a regular crafter to do this project! 

I'm extremely happy with them, and I think they are much cuter than the plastic primary color letters! 


Happy Crafting!!


1 comment:

Heather said...

Great ideas, Brittany! I'm Heather and I have a quick question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com :-)