Friday, June 24, 2011

Week 19 and the Gender Dilemma



People ALWAYS ask if we're going to find out the sex of our baby.  When we answer,

"no, it's going to be a surprise"

I am stunned at some of the responses we get. 

My favorite is always,

"you're crazy.  I'm such a planner, I just HAD to know" 

I find this hilarious because I am the epitome of a "planner" so I don't really see how these two things correlate.  Being a planner doesn't mean I have to know the sex of my baby.  I don't like pink or blue things, and I don't want our nursery to look any different than the rest of our house, other than the fact that there's a crib in it.  I am not a fan of any sort of characters or animals on clothes, so gender neutral stuff is my style anyway. 

The reason we made the decision to wait is very simple.  I've always imagined Vince telling me what our baby is as soon as it's born.  I cannot wait to see his eyes when he looks at our baby, then at me and says,

"baby, it's a ___". 

I have no doubt that this will be a magical experience and I'm not willing to give that up just because I'm a planner. 

Another reason I'm so happy we're waiting is something I never would have thought of before we were pregnant.  Not knowing the sex of this baby has given us HOURS of wondering to discuss.  We lie awake and night and talk about all the reasons we'd like a boy first, then all the reasons we'd like a girl first.  We discuss subsequent children as well,

"if it's a girl first, she'll likely always be a Type A personality, as first born girls often are"

"if it's a boy first, he'll be able to protect his little sister or brother in school"

and so on.  It's provided us with so much insight into how the other feels about birth order and the gender of our children.  If we knew the sex already, it would be limited to, "what's he/she going to look like"

I certainly understand why most people choose to find out.  For us, there are so few surprises in life anymore.  We are a culture obsessed with knowing everything, all the time, no matter what, and for the most part, we are the same way.  However, this is something we have really enjoyed so far, and we are looking forward to our surprise in November! 

5 comments:

amanda jewel said...

I love it and think it's awesome. -aj

Britt said...

I think it is great! I go back and forth with the idea-when the time comes. Who cares what everyone else thinks:)

Britt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
beka said...

I love that your nursery will look like the rest of your house - I hate all the primary colors that seem to go along with having a baby. I don't like animals or cutesy disney stuff on baby blankets or baby clothes... no reason my kid can't be sophisticated, right? :)

VarEesha said...

Thank you so much for sharing information regarding curated gift hampers, Best Corporate gifting company.