Monday, August 1, 2011

DIY Jute Mirror Tutorial

So while browsing Pinterest the other day, I came across this mirror that I fell in love with.  It was featured in a home tour on this blog and I knew I had to have it. 

I did some searching to no avail, and I realized it wouldn't be difficult OR expensive to make, so I hopped (actually waddled in my case) on over to Hobby Lobby to get my supplies. 

Here's the inspiration:

Here are the supplies I picked up:
One foam wreath
Two big spools of Jute
One round mirror
and I used cardboard I had around the house, and my hot glue gun

All I did was tightly wrap the jute around the wreath form until I made it all the way around.  I secured the beginning of the jute to the wreath with some hot glue, and then I glued the end piece.  

I then mounted the mirror to a piece of cardboard that I cut to fit the back of the wreath.  I used LOTS of hot glue to attach the cardboard/mirror to the back of the wreath, and VOILA!  My very own jute mirror!


I actually made it for the nursery, but decided to go with something else for the intended wall, so now I think it's new home will be in the living room.  I think I might make two more and stagger them on a wall in our master bedroom, but I'm not sure yet. 

So that's it!  Super easy, affordable, and I think, pretty cute!

1 comment:

Mel the Crafty Scientist said...

Love your blog and this project with jute - so gorgeous!! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist